Monday 4 June 2007

The Weekly Shop #13

A light week for me.

No Ultimate Fantastic Four because Silver Surfer or no Silver Surfer I'm just not enjoying it. So it's dropped. Hard, because I've been reading it since issue #1, but I've decided that the "I've been reading this book since it started, therefore I must continue reading it for all eternity" argument is irrational.

So that left me with just three American comics on my shopping list this week...

The Boys #7
Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha! No really. HA-HA-HA-HA! I thought DC dropped The Boys because of the hamster up the arse business in issue #6. Not so. They probably considered dropping it after that, but I'm guessing it was the draft of issue #7 that left their jaws on the floor and The Boys in the bin.

It's tasteless, plastered with profanities and entirely unsuitable for anyone under the age of 35. Yes The Boys is a filthy fucker of a funny book. Get it! Get it! Get it!

Get it and laugh yourself silly at the idea of a troubled superhero who can't stop fucking things.

Get it and marvel at panels like this where said superhero visits a psychiatrist to discuss the time he fucked his sister's dog.


Get it and imagine the shit that would have hit the fan if DC had published a book which describes superheroes variously as " Poofs, dykes and kiddie fuckers" and suggests that The Flash didn't die saving the world in Crisis on Infinite Earths but instead "choked on cum".

Bwahahahahaa! Just get it! Get it and thank the comic gods that Dynamite had the balls to take it off DC's hands. It's sick and wrong but it's good sick and wrong. You need that.

Amazons Attack #2

I haven't a clue what this book is all about. It's peppered with those little boxes that used to litter comics saying things like "See Wonder Woman #9. Ed" and "To understand what the fuck is going on here you need to buy Countdown #49. Ed".

Well I have no intention of buying either of those comics so doubtless this book will continue to leave me scratching my head. But no matter, when anyone asks...


...I will say "who cares? They're cool!"

Because they are, especially when they do stuff like taking down fighter pilots with bows and arrows...


Yay! "GGKK!" to you too soldier.

Gutsville #1

As recommended by the fine folks at Around Comics. This is a strange offering about a society living in the belly of a huge sea beast. For some reason it reminds me of Fungus the bogeyman. I'm not sure why, something to do with the colours (damp and mouldy looking) or the subterranean atmosphere of the whole thing. Whatever, it's a good read and I'll be picking up issue #2 when it comes out.

Message ends.

No comments: