Thursday 18 March 2010

Return

I wouldn't say that my batteries are recharged, but I thought that I'd better give the old blog a bit of a stroke before it slinks off to die. So what to say? Well, I went to the Isle of Man for an interview for a job as Social Media Community Manager for a big poker website. Grand old job title, eh? Basically it involved looking after their presence on blogs, forums, Twitter, Facebook etc. I suppose I should be happy that I made the second round of interviews, sadly I just ended up gutted that I didn't go all the way and get the job. I've never mentioned it on here before, but I like a game of cards. Poker's actually a fairly easy game to become half competent at, and when you do it's entirely possible to make a small amount of money at it. People find that hard to believe, but it's true. Honestly, I could teach anyone to nick a few quid playing low stakes poker. For several years I paid for my comics habit by grinding out profit on a number of online cardrooms. The money I was making was roughly equivalent to what I could've earned working at McDonalds, but playing poker can be fun, whereas flipping burgers and spitting in milkshakes is, well, not. Anyway, I digress, having spent a large whack of the last ten years at the card table I was well up for the idea of working in the industry. It wasn't to be, and while I'm not about to top myself, I didn't feel much like writing anything about comics for a few days after failing to land the job. Sometimes it goes like that.

I'm over the blues now though, so it seems like a good time to resume the old spandex related blathering. Trouble is I haven't got much to say today. Of the stuff I've read lately I can heartily recommend The Twelve: Spearhead, a one-shot drawn and written by Chris Weston. We all know the sad story of The Twelve - great series that just stopped coming out four issues from the end. Well, this isn't issue #9, but it is a fantastic World War II superhero caper featuring all your favourites from The Twelve, plus some special guest stars. The story is a pleasing wee romp, but it's the art that makes this one worth a punt. Weston's one of the best in the biz and he's on fire here. After seeing him draw Nazis, secret bases and WWII tanks I can only say that, even if The Twelve never finishes up, this man needs to draw an Invaders book.

6 comments:

Colin Smith said...

Welcome back to blogging. Always enjoy popping over to London Loves Comics when there's a new post. Wish you well in the next phase of your endeavours.

As for suggesting Mr Weston for The Invaders: well, how very perfect would that be? Let's hope the special sells & perhaps he'll have the clout to take Cap'n'the lads off on a great big Nazi-kicking. Splendid.

Anonymous said...

I was just going to kick you to see when you were coming back to LLC and here you are. Now get down the mart on Sunday and regale us with a gigantic tale of yellowing tat, smelly geeks and Heroclix.

Dom Sutton said...

Col - ta!

Bruce - not sure I can get a pass for this Sunday mate. Promised to go to John Lewis!

Anonymous said...

Glad to have you back Dom.
Goli Mar,
D

PS. I know its cheeky but could you plug my quiz. Cheers.

Den said...

Sorry to hear you've been down, and you didn't get the job. I look forward to more blog posts.

Best,

Den

Dom Sutton said...

Dave - I will tonight or tomorrow mate.
Den - Ta mate.