Wednesday 24 June 2009

A few quick reviews

Captain America #600
I love Ed Brubaker's run on Captain America. I've been buying it from the start and rate it as Marvel's most consistent book, BUT issue #600 was a letdown. To be honest with you, I haven't even finished it. I mean the Golden Age reprint in the back looks interesting and all, but I just can't get through the plodding guff that precedes it. All those people mooching around mourning Steve Rogers - pah! Who cares? As for the "bombshell" moment when Sharon Carter realises that Steve might not be dead after all? Damp squibbage.

So, a rare weak issue in an otherwise fantastic run, and one which will be of no interest to the general public who Marvel told us would be queuing around the block to get their hands on it. I don't know, do we really need Steve Rogers at the mo? He's only been dead five minutes, bringing him back now feels like a bit of a swizz, especially since Bucky's hardly had time to breathe in the role.

Flash Rebirth #3
I'm unsure what happened in this issue. Barry Allen had a race with Superman, reaching such an incredible speed that he ended up in the speed clouds or whatever they are. He repeated the name of his missus a lot and had a chat to two dead speedsters before meeting the big baddie. I enjoyed it and all, but this utterly impenetrable stuff to all but the most rabid of DC fanboys. Thought Van Sciver's insanely detailed art was really top notch this issue - his most Bollandesque yet.

Incognito #4
I'm a bit fed up of sweary, violent superhero comics at the moment, but I'll make an exception for this because it's so damn good. One use of the C word in this ish, a bunch of the coolest super-villains I've seen in ages and another great essay on a forgotten pulp hero from Jess Nevins + an end which makes it clear that the story is about to move into a new phase. Top stuff.

No comments: