Thursday 8 November 2007

Shopping list

After the paucity of last week's shop, I'm actually going to have a fairly weighty nerd sack to drag home this time out. Here (in interactive clickable format!) is what I'll be bagging and boarding over the weekend...

Midnighter #13
I'm three issues behind on this, but continue to buy it anyway. I'm not sure whether I liked Giffen's first issue so I probably should have read his second before ploughing on. Oh well.

Steve Niles Strange Cases #2
Hmmm, wasn't exactly bowled over by the first issue, but I'm so desperate for a good regular horror comic that I'm willing to give issue #2 a shot. I realise that this is horror with tongue firmly in cheek, but I still need convincing that the cheery artwork is right for the genre.

Astonishing X-Men #23
After reading the entire run from #1-#22 while I was flat on my back and unable to move a couple of months ago, I'm up to speed and looking forward to #23. Whedon and Cassaday are a great team who seem to have recaptured a lot of the magic of the classic Byrne/Claremont run while stamping their own identity on the book. Astonishing is slick and exciting. Any sadness about Whedon leaving the title is tempered by the knowledge that Warren Ellis will be taking over. Oh, and that's a PROPER Wolverine cover.

Criminal #10
Another title I've fallen behind on. In situations like this I often curse myself for continuing to buy the single issues instead of waiting for the trade, but Criminal is worth buying in single issue because of the excellent back matter that doesn't get reproduced in the collected format.

Which reminds me, I must watch The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, which I picked up on DVD after reading a great reader review in Criminal.

Marvel Legacy 1960s To 1990s Handbook TP
Gahhh. I'm a sucker for this type of thing. It just looks nice. Stupid unnecessary purchase, but it's the sort of thing I can see myself reading on the loo.

Super Villain Team Up Modoks 11 #5 (of 5)
Started off strong, weakened as it's gone on. Still a decent little mini, but there hasn't been enough MODOK for my liking.

The Order #4 CWI
Savvy stuff from Matt Fraction. Superheroes for the reality TV generation. I like it.

Monster #4
I'm sticking to one volume of this a week. It continues to be an excellent read. Sadly it prompted me to buy some more manga: Naruto vol #1 which I understand is very popular with the kids these days. Blerghh, seemed like a load of old bollocks to me - a badly executed rip-off of an early 90's cartoon. Chuff.

No comments: