Tuesday 27 October 2009

Return to Gosh!

No "welcome back" bunting, but a nice feeling to be strapping the nerd sack to my son's buggy and taking a quiet Monday afternoon stroll up west again. Picked up my comics from Gosh, had a quick squizz in Comicana and FP and then scampered home to read Chew #5 which brings the first arc of Layman and Guillory's cannibal-detective story to a close. Pleasing twist at the end which sets things up very nicely for the future. I reckon they'll be trading this one up soon - you should buy it! Also read the final part of Blackest Night Superman, which was absolute rubbish - not particularly enjoyable rubbish either, I'm afraid. Ach well.

Today I'm going to be casting my shiny new American imports to one side and feasting on yellowing back issues of 2000AD instead. The plan is to read Apocalypse War, the classic Judge Dredd Cold War story from 1982. After posting that great Kevin O'Neill cover on Sunday, I spent a lot of time thinking about some of my other favourite 2000AD covers and remembered the impact that this had on me as a nipper...

Honestly chums, this is one that really sticks in my mind. I remember seeing it in the newsagents. That skull! Someone's about to nuke Mega-City One for cripe's sake! Little did I know at the time that this issue was the first part of a great fucking epic that, in my opinion anyway, rivals the Judge Child and Judge Cal in the pantheon of great Dredd stories. It's been a long time since I read it. Time to get the kettle on, crack the seals on a few of those acid leaking poly bags and soak up some proper thrill power!

4 comments:

Mr A. P. Salmond, esq. said...

Along with the Block War prelude, my favourite Dredd epic ever!

Dom said...

Read it this afternoon. Forgotten just how AMAZING it is. Holy crap, Bolland flowing into Ezquerra - both on their A game! Only sad point is that those last couple of issues don't have the big colour centrespreads.

mr wheatley said...

its the best story by a mile. TADing a peacefull future world, collaborators shot in a hole, Dredd shooting himself, suicide jumping judges. It was hard as nails. Nothing has come close. Like a comic book Threads.

Dom said...

It's Dredd at his hardest, that's what I love. The trench execution is the best example of that, even more so than the moment where he nukes the Sovs I think. Also those Ezquerra colour splash pages are the biz! I had a great afternoon reading it again. Fantastic comics!